Sunday 22 April 2012

IMAGE // Self Initiated brief : Initial Ideas

So far I've been doing some sketching and I've come up with quite a few Idea's, I've been experimenting with hand rendered type, some quite experimental and some fitted to grids and nets. Below is a few of my sketches. I started off with some simple Ideas, I used some lyrics with my headphones on to get some idea's.
 



Subject matter is something i really need to consider, I want to create a typeface that's quite dark and grungy, a theme that represents the darker things In life. My subject matter is going to be human anatomy, peoples possessions, drugs, weapons etc. A bit grim I know, but what can I say. I have wanted to produce a typeface sticking with this theme made from a combination of ink water bleach and marker pen. With the intention to draw into it when taking my work into photoshop.

I want to stick with a simple colour scheme mainly using black white red and grey, I intend to handraw my content then re-work it in photoshop. The technique I want to perfect is the process of taking a drawing and tweaking it until its crisp clear and digital. The stages I'm going through are firstly taking the depths of the blacks up within the image using the curves tool. Then change the image mode to grey scale, use the threshold tool to separate the image out into black and white and then finally the colour range tool to remove all the white areas. 



Experiments;









I'm happy with my results, purely because I've got a grasp of the process I will have to go through when making my final typefaces. This however, was slightly too childlike and slap dash for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment