Wednesday 7 November 2012

The Universes Pupils // Concept Devlopment

T-shirt Ideas/Cuts

I wanted to strip my ideas down as much as possible as I find I often think about design way too early within a brief rather than concept building. The Universes Pupils is going to be a brand that uses ethical materials and ethical modes of production but I want the fabrics and materials themselves to be just as interesting as the prints themselves. Below is a few sketches and considerations I've been putting together to manipulate my material, thinking openly, What happens if my shirts are cut in half then re-sewn to other colour shirts? What happens if my sleeves are turned up and sewn? What happens if my sleeves are taken in to make the torso more of a muscle fit? etc.



Below is a list of different concepts for each shirt. I want each shirt to be associated with the next with consistent branding and tags etc, but each t-shirt design to be completely different. I don't like companies that create one logo and use it across everything, I feel as if I have so much I want to cover with my brand that this would be far to restricting.

One of the idea's I've come up with that I feel is quite strong is a design based around a play on the word pupils. Pupils reminds me of teaching and teaching reminds me of detention, looking into lines and repetition of words on a chalkboard is something I want to play around with.




Idea generation/Concepts

Below are some of the concepts and Ideas I've generated in relation to my personal brief, where I'm printing my own range of clothes. I've come up with an overall blurb about the sort of ethics and attitudes I want my clothing company to have. I want THE UNIVERSES PUPILS to become much more of a collective rather than another generic street brand, I want it to be affordable and communicate equality both in production and design.

I'm keeping THE UNIVERSES PUPILS all uppercase with no punctuation marks. The reasoning for this is outlined below, If the word UNIVERSES contains an apostraphy it means the word PUPILS belongs to it and Vice Versa. I want this to be an underlying message...Do we Belong to The Universe Or does the universe belong to us?

Use an apostrophe after the “s” at the end of a plural noun to show possession.
The parents’ bedroom, the Joneses’ lives

It is not necessary to add another “s” to the end of a plural noun.

If a plural noun doesn’t end in “s,” add an “‘s” to create the possessive form.
The children’s rooms

*Remember, a possessive noun needs an apostrophe and an “s” at the end. If there’s already an “s” there, you can just add the apostrophe. If there’s no “s,” you have to add both - first the apostrophe, and then the “s.”





Logo GenrationLogo design and Identity are going to determine to message I give across, I've picked out a lot of key aspects I want to communicate through my branding so I can start to consider typefaces and letter forms etc. How are people going to interpret the words...THE UNIVERSES PUPILS.

When I came up with the name 'THE UNIVERSES PUPILS" I thought this was appropriate to a clothing company that wanted to expose current world issues and promote messages that gets its audience thinking. THE UNIVERSES PUPILS categorizes not just a single group of people but the title itself is talking about everybody...because essentially we are all are the Universes Pupils.




No comments:

Post a Comment