Sunday 20 November 2011

Making my sliding box/draw Lazer cutting

When I was designing the lid for my box I wanted to laser cut my logo into the roof of the housing so you could see the products that it contained through the gaps in the wood. After getting to grips with the laser cut machine from being shown by one of the furniture making students It was a lot harder than I thought and there were many more considerations that I hadn't expected. Laser cutting has 3 main processes, cut-through, raster and engrave, and positioning your image on your wood when you're useless at using measurements was a rather tricky task. As I wanted to be able to see through the wood into my box the option I was working with was cut-through.

Some of my samples are below, working mainly with engrave and cut through on 6mm thick ply wood. 



Finally when I got my logo positioned in the right place and I was happy with the way it would be cut I completed 2 final lids for my box, one engraved and one cut through.

Cut-Through



Engraved



Here's a Video of the laser cutter in action, cutting my lid, I realize the video isn't amazing but it was filmed on my phone.





No comments:

Post a Comment