Sunday 20 November 2011

Testing out stocks for the sleeve for my box


After completing the lazer cutting part of making my box I wanted to bring it all together by making a wrap round paper sleeve. I thought this would really give the box a finished quality rather than just looking like a lazer cut draw, and after all this is a print module not a wood making one haha.

Here are a couple of mock ups of how i wanted my sleeve to look like when wrapped around my box.





 Earlier I had tried out some spot varnish techniques using nail varnish, I wanted to use this aesthetic feel on the exterior of my sleeve however keep the spot varnish as crisp and clean as possible. I'd heard of printing a sheet of film down in the digital dungeon to create the same effect however costings would be my main issue in terms of printing. Instead I bought some clear foil from printed textiles that when put through a laminator with a piece of print would leave a clear film on the printed areas. Below are a couple of my samples, I used a variety of black stocks to tie in with the branding of my product.

Black Print on black sugar paper+clear foil



Black Print on black cartridge paper+clear foil



I decided to use the black on black cartridge paper as the finish was much more subtle and didn't look as pale as the sugar paper print. It works well because you dont catch the reflection of the varnish from all angles, this is exactly what I wanted to achieve, god thank the laminator in the library!







No comments:

Post a Comment